When it comes to innovation, you know what you’re talking about. Whether it’s AI, healthtech, or climatetech, you know who the big players are in Vancouver and you can name-drop the founders leading those firms. You can easily ramble off the hottest startups that were born in YVR and the innovators that are on to the next big thing. You're connected to the community and know where to get all the info on the latest funding announcements, IPOs, acquisitions, and more.
Vancouver Tech Journal started in 2019 as a passion project, sharing stories from the local tech ecosystem in a bi-weekly newsletter. Today we're the go-to destination for the innovation community in Vancouver, sharing stories online and in our daily newsletters, bringing 1,000 people together IRL each month at our events, producing award-winning journalism, and more. Last year, we expanded to launch in Victoria and Calgary, and have sights on launching in more Canadian markets in 2024.
We are looking for a self-motivated individual who is passionate about innovation news in Vancouver, and can work in a fast-paced, start-up environment. Having the ability to wear multiple hats is important, as is a can-do attitude! Although previous journalism experience is an asset, so too is personal knowledge of the local tech and innovation ecosystem.
This is a full-time opportunity to be a part of a fast-growing media organization that’s dedicated to connecting audiences and growing communities. You’ll be working remotely, but will need to attend events in Vancouver as required. The salary range for this role is $50k to $70k, depending on experience.
- You know how to write and edit content and have experience with a print/online publication or as a communications professional.
- You have a strong interest and knowledge in the local tech and innovation landscape in Vancouver.
- You have demonstrated digital media knowledge and expertise, including understanding of native content and content marketing.
- You have a good command of social media and understand its relevance to journalism.
- You have the ability to critically analyze, contextualize, and question information, opinions, and data.
- You have a growth mindset, with a commitment to continuous improvement of organizational processes.
- You have excellent communication, organizational, and people skills, and are excited to meet the community you report on at events.
- You’re able to give and take feedback in the pursuit of better reporting.
- You have a strong understanding of journalism ethics and moral underpinnings of those ethics.
- You know how to use WordPress and similar CMS platforms, and Beehiiv or a similar ESP.
- You have some photography and image design skills.
What you'll do
- Write stories and profiles on change-makers and developments in tech and innovation.
- Produce a daily newsletter helping readers understand the local people, ideas, and technologies shaping their community and world.
- Conduct interviews and attend events, taking photos, videos, and audio recordings as necessary.
- Build and maintain relationships with industry professionals, including peers at other publications, PR/marketing reps, and professional services firms.
- Keep up to date with technology, business, and political news and events happening around the city and province.
- Help grow the publication to become the leading voice in the region for tech and innovation news.
Perks of working with us
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefits.
- Full-time position with a competitive compensation package.
- Flexible work hours and generous vacation policy.
- WeWork all access pass.
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture.