A Thinking Ape is a studio that does things differently: we get paid what we're worth - no anxiety-filled salary negotiations required. Our team structure means we have a strong voice in how our games are created and supported. DEI is a big focus for us, and not just on paper.
We can’t create our mobile games without you! The engineering team at A Thinking Ape is eager to welcome you as their new teammate: One of our company values is ownership, so you’ll have lots of opportunity to make your own decisions. You will work closely with engineers and game designers and be involved in every aspect of product development. You will be responsible for designing, architecting, building, monitoring, and scaling the services that power our live mobile games. You will have a major impact on the types of experiences that ATA can provide to our continuously growing player communities, as well as how resilient our systems are to disruptions and failures. We will consider immigration support for this role.
Check out a 2 min video clip of our engineers sharing why they are happy at A Thinking Ape.
You bring …
- An extensive track record architecting and implementing scalable backend services and systems
- Several years' experience post-grad in a professional setting
- Experience working with load balancers, data replication, distributed message queues, and distributed data stores
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- A passion for mobile gaming products
Things you will work on
Our newest game's front-end client is built with Unity, and is developed for both iOS and Android. At ATA you will be:
- Building scalable systems for massively multiplayer mobile games that will support thousands of concurrent users
- Creating tools to automate and optimize processes across disciplines: such as adding additional player management tools for our community team, data pipeline optimizations for our game designers, or even content pipelines for our art team
- Involved in every aspect of product development, from design to implementation to playtests to metrics analysis
- Leading the technical investigation, implementation, release, and iteration of solutions to large-scale product and infrastructure problems
If the above describes the things you enjoy, we’d love to hear from you. Here’s a quick video clip of what we do at ATA.
A Thinking Ape is fully committed to diversity and inclusion; of our new hires in 2021, 49% were women or non-binary. We released our first game in 2009, and have been profitable ever since. Our teams are friendly, open to challenging themselves and everyone's ideas are heard based on our core value of having wonderful arguments. Our people leaders work with us individually to support our development; keep growing is another of our core values.
We’re working remotely across Canada, we’ll supply the equipment you need to do your work, and stipends to set up your workspace. We have a very flexible work schedule, three weeks of vacation, unlimited sick days, and a generous health benefits package. Our full story is here. You’re very welcome to connect with our recruiter Ingrid on LinkedIn.
Apply now to join us!