Seaspan Innovation is pursuing a number of initiatives that focus on delivering digitally-enabled solutions incorporating digital twins, digital threads, integrated analytics, and real-time sensing systems and support increased competitiveness and efficiency in ship construction and ship repair.
Drawing on a background in software development and/or data-analytics, the Senior Developer, Innovation is responsible for providing software implementation and tools, solution development, validation and testing for our digital twin projects. Working within a small, multi-disciplinary team environment, their contributions provide technical knowledge and thought leadership towards achieving strategic technical objectives in a rapidly evolving Innovation team.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Participates in all phases of software or data analytics tool development projects including: requirements decomposition, design preparations, supporting analysis, solution or methodology selection and specification, implementation task execution, and testing, verification and close-out activities.
- Develops frontend and/or backend software components to demonstrate and validate digital twin use cases in the marine domain.
- Applies best practices for software and analytics tool development, testing, and close-out in an R&D environment with evolving requirements.
- Provides development expertise through preparation and support of task descriptions, coordination, and estimates to meet project and strategic technical objective
- Provides technical guidance and oversight for junior team members
- Prepares analysis, documentation and presentations that capture development task planning, progress and completion.
- Works with Innovation team and other industry partners to build expertise within the Innovation team through recruitment or partnership.
- Works with Innovation team to identify and respond to funding opportunities.
- Champions and fosters a culture of innovation and project success over individual success.
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Science subject areas relevant to software or data analytics tool development, including but not limited to software engineering, engineering physics, mathematics, computer science, computational sciences, data science, etc. Diplomas may be accepted with sufficient employment experience.
- 7+ years post-secondary experience in research and development or engineering in software development or digital/data-centric industries, with demonstrated increased levels of responsibility.
- Demonstrated experience prototyping, implementing and maintaining data-centric and software-centric solutions within an industry framework
- Demonstrated experience implementing software or data analytics solutions through full life-cycle in multi-disciplinary projects and proposals.
- Demonstrated experience providing software tool development and thought leadership, in a fast paced, technically diverse environment with rapid change and competing priorities is a distinct advantage.
- Previous experience or familiarity with Canada’s innovation programs is a distinct advantage.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Proficiencies
- Solid understanding and proven experience in defining and implementing software tools and data-centric methods that provide sustainable technical solutions, capabilities and/or processes.
- Demonstrated proficiencies in defining, detailing, implementing and selling-off data-analytics, software or system architectures and implementations.
- Familiarity with current and emerging standards and frameworks for using and developing scalable solutions for data-centric performance metrics and digital information management.
- Demonstrated competencies working in an agile or iterative development environment
- Experience in deploying solutions in a virtual and cloud based computing environments
- Experience in IoT or in-situ sensing infrastructures, monitoring and analytics
- Experience in python or other high-level scripting language for prototype development
- Knowledge or understanding of Machine learning or artificial intelligence methods is an asset
- Knowledge or understanding of heterogeneous data sources or repositories is an asset
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, critical thinking and interpersonal skills
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize and adapt in support of meeting project and strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity and integrity while maintaining business priorities and a customer focus.
- Ability to work with mid-level direction or requirements.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.