Hiive is looking for a Principal Developer to join the product team to work on a Typescript and React application utilising an Elixir Phoenix GraphQL backend API.
Hiive is a fintech startup, backed by seasoned professionals with decades of experience in private equity and capital markets. The company is building a revolutionary product for buyers and sellers of shares in private pre-IPO companies and “Unicorns,” bringing a rational, beautiful and modern technological interface to a messy and traditional market.
As a Principal Developer at Hiive, you will be the senior most technician and a leader on the engineering team. You will build hands-on with the product and be a primary contributor. You will direct the efforts of your fellow engineers and level their skills. You will work directly with the executive and founding team to deliver core features of our application, create a robust, scalable and secure infrastructure, and build an excellent and supportive engineering culture.
Remote, Canada — 7+ Years Experience
A great candidate would…
- Consider themselves highly capable at hands-on development of Typescript, React, GraphQL, Elixir, and Phoenix.
- Have a consistent attention to detail in their work that inspires peers to ship better code.
- Be prepared to own architecture top-down across the entire product.
- Be able to evaluate possible technical implementations and consult with leadership on decision making.
- Lead the implementation of new features to the platform.
- Conduct peer code reviews and ensure the team is shipping complete features and producing quality code.
- Advocate for best practices and continually iterate on internal processes to empower the development team to produce top-notch work.
- Assist in the hiring process of a growing development team.
- Invest in peer mentoring to help the rest of the team grow their skills.
- Be comfortable working with a small team including directly with the founders on building a product and a company.
- Adapt well to a quickly moving environment.
- Substantial expertise building frontend with React.
- Substantial expertise building backend systems with Elixir and Phoenix.
- Previous experience working with relational databases.
- Previous experience working with Typescript and GraphQL.
- Previous experience managing DevOps (infrastructure and deployments).
- Previous experience being a leader and primary contributor of a team.
Preferable (but not required!) Experience:
- Experience building GraphQL APIs with Apollo Client and Absinthe.
- Experience with Vercel and Next.js.
- Understanding of Postgres databases design and optimization.
- DevOps know-how, specifically deploying and configuring AWS services and Kubernetes with Terraform.
- Previous experience working in a fintech startup
Compensation & Perks:
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience and contribution.
- Comprehensive 100% employer-paid health and dental benefits, and a health spending account.
- Company-owned MacBook Pro and whatever components and other tools you need to do your best work.
- Option to work remotely from your home office, or in our HQ in the Mt. Pleasant neighbourhood of Vancouver, BC with a first-class view of the mountains.
- Opportunity to participate in ownership of a seed-stage startup through our employee stock option plan.
- Entrepreneurial culture, and small and dynamic team.