We're looking for someone who loves the Vancouver tech community and wants to help us take it to the next level.
Vancouver Tech Journal started in 2019 as a passion project, sharing stories from the local tech ecosystem in a bi-weekly newsletter. Today we're the go-to destination for the innovation community in Vancouver, sharing stories online and in our daily newsletters, bringing 1,000 people together IRL each month at our events, producing award-winning journalism, and more. Last year, we expanded to launch in Victoria and Calgary, and have sights on launching in more Canadian markets in 2024.
We're looking for a rockstar to lead our events and member engagement programs. We typically host 5-7 events per month, including weekly coffee meetups, our #vtjtalks monthly panel series, and quarterly #VTJLive events. We also host smaller private members-only events for our paid member community, which range from social mixers to fun activities like pitch and putt.
For this role, we're looking for someone passionate about the local tech ecosystem and can work in a fast-paced, startup environment. This is a full-time opportunity to be a part of a dynamic media organization that’s dedicated to connecting audiences and growing communities. You’ll be working remotely, but as part of the role will be active at in-person events and engagements in Vancouver (and potentially other cities/provinces in the future). The salary range for this role is $68k to $72k depending on experience, with bonuses built in for achieving various revenue targets.
A bit about you:
- You have a strong interest in and knowledge of the local tech and innovation landscape in Vancouver.
- You're super organized.
- You're cool under pressure and can handle 100 things thrown at you at once.
- You have a growth mindset, with a commitment to continuous improvement of organizational processes.
- You're savvy with digital tools and can learn quick (like Eventbrite/Luma, Wordpress/Substack/Beehiiv, Hubspot, Google Workspace, Slack, etc).
- You can present and communicate extremely well, and have a near perfect attention to detail.
- You're a people person, and love networking and building relationships.
- You have some photography and image design skills (e.g. Canva).
What you'll do:
Collaborating with the content and partnerships teams, you'll grow VTJ's member and events revenue while achieving these specific deliverables:
- Event planning: Coordinate and execute all aspects of events from conception to completion, including post-event evaluation.
- Promotion and marketing: Collaborate internally to develop promotional materials and strategies to increase event attendance and ticket revenue.
- Budget management: Develop and adhere to event budgets, tracking expenses, and negotiate cost-effective solutions to meet revenue objectives.
- Vendor management: Liaise with and manage relationships with vendors like hosts and catering companies.
- Sponsorship coordination: Secure and manage event sponsorships, ensuring sponsors receive proper recognition and benefits.
- Trend awareness: Stay on top of industry trends, emerging technologies, and new event concepts to continuously make our events better.
- Community building: Work with team members to cultivate a sense of community among VTJ readers by facilitating interactions, discussions, and collaborations, both online and offline.
- Feedback and data collection: Establish mechanisms for gathering feedback from subscribers to understand who they are (for sponsorship purposes) and their preferences, expectations, and satisfaction levels to drive membership growth and engagement.
- Benefits creation: Work with partners to develop benefits, perks, or content offerings for members, ensuring added value for their paid membership.
- Retention strategies: Work on strategies to increase member retention, including personalized communication and targeted campaigns.
- Data analysis: Utilize data tools and surveys to track and analyze member engagement metrics, providing key business insights.
Perks of working with us
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefits.
- Full-time position with a competitive compensation package.
- Flexible work hours and generous vacation policy.
- WeWork all access pass.
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture.